Sunday, October 8

Questioning

So I guess North Korea may have nukes soon. Whee...

Colbert had a nice segment a while back on why China should pursue "regime change" for N. Korea, for the purpose of stepping into a global-superpower role like the US. He was just being funny, but it may actually be the best option for them now. At least we can be pretty sure there are WMDs there. It's kind of scary sometimes how stuff from Colbert and the Daily Show ends up happening... I suppose it's still true today that people have to just laugh at the truth, or else they'll end up crying.

I'm curious... I've been thinking a lot lately, and want to know what you, the readers, think an average Joe like myself can do to help reverse these trends in the world, and also in our own government. (For the record, I'm fully aware that November is just around the corner, but I'm looking for a deeper answer here than just "elect Democrats" or "elect Republicans.")

It's almost enough to make one just want to pack up and head off to do missions work in someplace that is a little less... nuke-worthy. I hear India, Ghana, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Iowa are all great places for settling in and just being about His work. At the same time, though, one starts feeling the weight of the potential for millions of people to die. On the one hand, a person can only really love, and only really do what is right, with the people close by in their life, wherever that may be. This is all God asks. But on the other hand, this world is shrinking quickly - how long before it implodes? Again, for the record, I'm hardly hating on the US - I love it here, and I'm glad there's places in the world where "people's republic" is not a joke, and religious freedom is actually given, and cops don't have to carry around machine guns all the time.

In addition, I'd like to "settle down" just as much as anybody. Have a family, a little house, a good community, a ministry/job that helps people in a significant way... I really would love for God to put these things in my life. Now accepting applications... :-) I could be very happy - pretty much anywhere, from England to Costa Rica, from Kenya to Canada.

In the meanwhile, though... how much is my one life really worth? I may never end up finding somebody to settle down with, and I may never find a community of people who really care, and I may wind up never finding a job or ministry that really feels right. But I have a lot of love to give, and a decent brain, and a body that may need more time at the gym, but that can still stand beside people. And I'd like to make sure that even if none of that other good stuff happens to me, that I'm at least doing something worthwhile, and that at least God knows that He can do whatever with me.

So what is there to do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much is your one life really worth? Only what God in His love said it is worth.....the price of His Son's death on the cross. The mission field is all around you. Grow where you are planted, and seek God's guidance always.Col.1:9 "For this cause also, since the day we heard it, so not cease to pray for you, and to desire that you might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and understanding........"
Your mother loves u.
Love, MOM

James said...

Pakistan thinks that India is pretty nuke-worthy.

Keep on writing. You ain't the only one with such worries.