Tuesday, November 7

Day and Night

The other day I made playlists for my iPod, entitled "Daytime Driving" and "Night Driving." I've been driving in both conditions and sorted out some of my songs accordingly. Buck asked the valid question, "What makes a song a night-driving song versus a daytime-driving song?" and I've been thinking about that. I have always just kinda known. :-)

The easiest way to explain is with examples. So here are some highlights from my Daytime and Nighttime playlists. Perhaps you will recognize the songs, perhaps not. I usually leave these lists on 'shuffle' so these aren't necessarily in listening-order:

Daytime Driving:
Listen to the Music - Doobie Brothers
It's a Beautiful Life - Ace of Base
Daring Daylight Escape - Caedmon's Call
Solidarity - Five Iron Frenzy
Holiday - Green Day
Doctor My Eyes - Jackson Browne
Just a Girl - No Doubt
Story in Your Eyes - Moody Blues
Take Me to Your Leader - Newsboys
Dune Buggy - Presidents of the USA
Someday - Sugar Ray
Beautiful Day - U2

Compare the above list with

Nighttime Driving:
Ride - Cary Brothers
Overkill - Colin Hay
Hitch a Ride - Boston
Clocks - Coldplay
Heaven - Delirious?
Life is a Highway - Rascal Flatts
Somebody's Watching - Chris Rice
Fade to Grey - Jars of Clay
Perfect Situation - Weezer
Elle G. - Newsboys
Damien - DMX
Hemmorhage - Fuel
On Fire - Switchfoot
1000 Miles an Hour - Ok Go
23 - Jimmy Eat World
Winding Road - Bonnie Summerville

The night songs aren't necessarily slower... they seem more reflective in tone, though. If anybody can find a pattern, let me know. And yes, they're all good songs, so there's that. :-)

Now you're all going to have to find excuses to hang around me in the day or night and drive places. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jordan - I don't know most of these songs but I like your method for organizing them. Happy driving!

Anonymous said...

like father, like son.
Love,
Mom
when recital is over, I will be able to call.