Tuesday, November 14

Molasses

Cookies!

I baked them this weekend. That's right. Molasses cookies. Made by me. And they were yummy. So there. :-)

Also, Bart and Buck and myself have sort of established a dinner-on-Sunday thing which has been pretty darn awesome.

And the entropy of my Lego collection continues to decrease. It's so relaxing! And it's a nice change from the usual pattern in my life, in which everything I try to do fails and falls apart.

God is good. It's funny how it's gotten so that even in my (thankfully-getting-rarer, and no, I'm not in one now) tired and depressed states I can still be very theologically correct and really in a good place about things. God gives us no guarantees except life, love, and his presence with us - I wind up sad only when I get unsatisfied with that. But it's all on his terms, and rightfully so. I've done too many things on my own to be surprised each time it flops. And I've gotten used to falling on my face, back (as Audio Adrenaline might put it) "to the place I should have started from."
People may remind me that I deserve good things; but I don't. People may say it's just a season of my life - but history is full of examples of people who wound up far worse off than I am on my worst day, and suffered prison and death - and they were just as loved by God as I, and God was no less faithful to them - even Jesus prayed that his cup might pass from him.
So I guess what I'm saying is, I'm glad for what God has given me, and I am thankful that he's brought me to a place where my mental response to the thought "God, what do you think you're doing, have you forgotten about me?" quickly comes back "Of course he loves me - Jesus, keep the Devil out of my life." Because, let's face it, I'm an idiot, slow like molasses, and I stick my foot in my mouth all the time (metaphorically speaking)... I screw things up enough without much in the way of satan's help. But God's in the business of straightening crooked things, and making things right that are broken and marred.

"God loves broken hearts
and faith like a child
so now here I come
with just a broken heart
and faith like a child."

Even the smallest good thing in my life, from molasses cookies to Lego to sunsets to the Supertones to Bart and Buck and all my friends - all are exactly where, when, and why God's seen fit to put them in my life, and He works it so that I am healthier, more myself, and closer to Him as a result. (Bart and Buck are both blessings that are admittedly not so small in relation to me.) :-)

I look forward to hopefully being a similar blessing in your life soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are already a similar blessing in my life.
Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

And in mine. Though for a shorter amount of time so far.